Manual vs Automated
When is manual monitoring best? When is automated monitoring best? Which is more economical when total costs are considered?
- For short term or one-time activities.
- Useful when vibration monitor must be relocated frequently.
- Needed when activity requires immediate reports from the field technician.
Daily Monitoring Tasks
- Daily setup and retrieval.
- Daily transfer of data to PC.
- Generate and distribute reports.
- Archive reports and data.
- Charge battery overnight.
- Generally for continuous monitoring and longer term projects.
- PVM portable unit for shorter term projects.
- Required for locations that are difficult to access (tunnels, highways, etc).
Eliminated Daily Tasks
- Daily setup & retrieval eliminated.
- Data handling eliminated.
- Generation and distribution of reports eliminated.
- Archiving of reports and data eliminated.
- Battery charging eliminated.
- Automated alarms.
- Automated reports.
- Automated archiving of reports and data.
- Site status displayed on PC and smartphones.
Total Cost of Operation
The rental rate for automated systems is about 50% more than the rate for manual systems. However, cost savings often make automated systems more economical.
- Travel time to and from the site.
- Standby time during monitoring.
- Processing time after monitoring.
- Distribution and archiving time.
- Little or no travel time.
- No standby time.
- No processing time.
- No distribution and archiving time.